Getting Around Manila
View Devex Manila Forum in a larger map
Recommendations for Accommodations
Prior to your arrival in Manila, arrangements can be made with most hotels for pick-up at the airport, but there are usually airport cabs waiting at the terminals.
Cabs be distinguished by their color—regular taxis are white, while airport cabs are yellow or red. The latter are more expensive, but generally safer to take. Make sure to pay at the Taxi booth.
Take note that lines for taxis can be long during peak hours/seasons. You may want to consider:
- GrabTaxi: a smartphone app that allows the user to call on the nearest taxis willing to take passengers. The creators of this app partnered with various established taxi companies, making this the safest option for a fare increase of PHP 70.
- Uber: a smartphone app that allows you to contract a private black car service. Base fare begins at PHP 90.
- Nissan Rent-A-Car Services: offers direct drop-off from the airport to your hotel, at a fixed rate of PHP 610. This is called the Airport Coupon Taxi Service.
For transportation services beyond drop-off at your hotel, they also offer the Phone-A-Car, Inter-City Transfer, Coupon Taxi Service for fixed rates to your destinations around Metro Manila.
- Flag-down rate: Php 40.00
- Taxi meter runs/increases at an estimated rate of PHP 3.50 per 300 meters (see Taxi Fare Guide)
- Approximate taxi fare from airport to Ortigas
- Airport cab: PHP 300-500
- Regular cab: PHP 180-300
- As a general rule, bring extra cash in case you happen to get stuck in a traffic jam—around PHP 150 -300, depending on the distance.
- As much as possible, pay the exact amount in hundred-peso bills or lower, because drivers don’t usually have enough change for big bills. Bring pocket change (from 25 centavos to 10-peso coins) to be able to give the exact fare.
Is this your first time in the Philippines? Check out these helpful guides:
Other Helpful Travel Info:
You may need a visa to enter the Philippines, depending on your passport. You are advised to check with your nearest Philippines embassy.