Devex will host a one-day, hybrid event (yes, we’ll have an in-person event) in Geneva, Switzerland on May 25, 2022, accompanied by an online broadcast to bring you exclusive interviews, expert analysis, and insider coverage of the week’s most important conversations.
The past two years have proven that the world needs to be more prepared for the next pandemic, even as the response to COVID-19 has bolstered preparedness through the birth of new initiatives, interest in the creation of new institutions, and debate on how to change what has long been the status quo. This year governments will convene at the 75th World Health Assembly to discuss details surrounding new pandemic preparedness instruments, while the matter of ending the current pandemic remains high on the agenda.
The exclusive, in person portion of the event will be held at the Intercontinental Hotel in Geneva, Switzerland. The virtual program will include the livestream of the in-person portion and two additional hours of programming. We’ll give you a front row seat to the major decision points at the 75th World Health Assembly and an opportunity to learn how current and future initiatives can protect the world from global health threats.
Guests joining us in person are also invited to attend a cocktail hour following the main programming, with opportunities to connect with other leaders in global health from around the globe.
*In person attendees will receive the video recordings of these additional interviews via email following the event
• Jenny Lei Ravelo, senior reporter, Devex
• Amruta Byatnal, senior editor, Devex
What to expect from WHA 75: A conversation with Björn Kümmel
• Björn Kümmel, chair of the WHO working group on sustainable financing
• Moderator: Jenny Lei Ravelo, senior reporter, Devex
The state of the TRIPS waiver and lessons for the future • Nirmalya Syam, senior program officer for the health, intellectual property and biodiversity programme, South Centre • Fatima Hassan, founder and director, Health Justice Initiative • Weinian Hu, research fellow, CEPS • Moderator: Andrew Green, contributing reporter, Devex
Spotlight on: Faith-based primary health care
In partnership with Corus International • Dr. Dennis Cherian, associate vice president for global health and nutrition, Corus International • Moderator: Richard Jones, editorial director, Devex
Toward a pandemic preparedness treaty: A conversation with Precious Matsoso • Precious Matsoso, co-chair, Intergovernmental Negotiating Body, and former director-general, South African National Department of Health • Moderator: Jenny Lei Ravelo, senior reporter, Devex
Operationalizing the One Health approach: successes and challenges • Eloise Todd, co-founder, Pandemic Action Network • Marion Koopmans, head of the department of viroscience, Erasmus MC, and member, One Health High-Level Panel • Dr. Yewande Alimi, antimicrobial resistance program coordinator, Africa Centres for Disease Control and Prevention • Moderator: Rumbi Chakamba, associate editor, Devex
Spotlight on: Why youth matter for global health security
In partnership with Pathfinder International • Crystal Lander, chief strategic engagement officer, Pathfinder • Moderator: Natalie Donback, associate editor and reporter, Devex
Providing healthcare in conflict: perspectives from the frontlines
• Dr. Hayelom Kebede, former chief executive director, Ayder Comprehensive Specialized Hospital in Tigray, Ethiopia • Jaime Nadal, representative to Ukraine and country director for Belarus, UNFPA • Dr. Mohammed Abbas, regional program manager for Middle East and North Africa, based in Yemen, MedGlobal • Moderator: Sara Jerving, senior reporter, Devex
Livestream of the in person event See sessions below
*The in person event will also be live streamed to our virtual audience
Preparing for the next pandemic: A conversation with Loyce Pace
• Loyce Pace, assistant secretary for global affairs, U.S. Department of Health and Human Services • Moderator: Jenny Lei Ravelo, senior reporter, Devex
Spotlight on: Better health for all through digital solutions
In partnership with Medtronic LABS • Anne Stake, chief strategy and product officer, Medtronic LABS • Eric Angula, Strategic Partnerships, Business Development and Government Affairs, Africa Lead, Medtronic LABS • Moderator: Kate Warren, executive vice president & executive editor
Leading the charge toward equitable global health: A conversation with Dr. Atul Gawande
• Dr. Atul Gawande, assistant administrator for global health, USAID • Moderator: Amruta Byatnal, senior editor, Devex
Achieving vaccine equity: What will it take?
• Nina Schwalbe, adjunct assistant professor, Columbia University Mailman School of Public Health • Dr. Petra Khoury, Director for Health and Care Department, IFRC • Dr. Githinji Gitahi, Group CEO, Amref Health Africa • Moderator: Amruta Byatnal, senior editor, Devex
Guests joining us in person are invited to attend a cocktail hour following the main programming with opportunities to connect with other leaders in global health from around the globe.